My Photo
Name:
Location: Jacksonville, Florida

I'm on a journey. I know where I'm going but not how I'll get there. Its a mystery only God knows...and isn't telling.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Notes of a Believer

Everything is possible for the one who believes (Mark 9:23)

I have a daily devotional that has been helpful to me over the past few years. It's called "Streams in the Desert" by L.B. Cowman. I find things in there that help me keep going when it seems that I have hit a dead end in my life. The reading today was about the bible verse from Mark.

The "everything" mentioned here does not always come simply by asking, because God is always seeking to teach you the way of faith. When you have made your request to God, and the answer still has not come, what are you to do? Keep on believing His word! Never be swayed from it by what you may see or feel. Then as you stand firm, your power and experience is being developed, strengthened, and deepened. When you remain unswayed from your stance of faith, even in the view of supposed contradictions to God's word, you grow stronger on every front.

No amount of persecution will try you as much as experiences like these - ones in which you are required to wait on God. Once He has spoken His promise to work, it is truly hard to wait as you see the days go by with no fulfillment. Yet it is this discipline of faith that will bring you into the knowledge of God that would otherwise be impossible. (pg 191-192)

The thing I like best about this verse is that it is unlimited. It says "everything is possible". There is no wiggle room in that as long as I believe...and believing is one thing I'm good at. I'm not always patient and cheerful. I often get frustrated and sad because I believe I'm ready and apparently God doesn't think so yet. But believing in God's promise is one thing I am unshakeable on.

It kind of makes me think about someone who is doing time in prison. Even though they know that their release will eventually come, I'm sure they always hold out hope for an early parole.

I will continue to pray and ask God for an "early parole" from my self-imposed prison of anxiety about my life and future. I will try harder to enjoy my life as it is right now and learn to submit to the will of God.

But there continues to be a little voice that whispers in my ear about watching lightening bugs with my best friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
DisneyDirect.com