My Photo
Name:
Location: Jacksonville, Florida

I'm on a journey. I know where I'm going but not how I'll get there. Its a mystery only God knows...and isn't telling.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

My Views

I've been thinking lately about the controversy in the Episcopal Church. There are obviously people on both sides of the issues who feel very strongly about their beliefs and their interpretations of scripture. I suspect there are quite a few who fall in between that don't know exactly what to believe or who to believe.

I have no doubt that everyone from most "liberal" to most "conservative" (or as I prefer to see them as most "contemporary" to most "traditional") are well meaning and would prefer that this controversy didn't exist...but it does.

I read a very good book called, "Church History in Plain Language" by Bruce Shelley. It's obviously written to be an enjoyable read that doesn't go too deep into any one issue. It's mostly an overview that allows the reader to get a broad view of church history without any obvious bias.

I learned two things from that book. One is that each sentence could be expanded into volumes of information and that most of us only touch the surface of what there is to know. The other thing I learned (or was reminded of) was the fact that the church is a living thing and change has been it's history since the beginning of time. Just because I live in the present day where I see things as pretty settled, the fact is, what we have now will continue to evolve and change. Someone in the future will look back and see the changes we can't see now.

So, in regards to the Episcopal Church, maybe what's happening isn't a bad thing. Perhaps what needs to happen is for the most contemporary and the most traditional to separate. The separation would give people on both sides a place to go where they can feel more comfortable. If all those involved wanted the best for each other, concessions could be made in regards to finances, property, and clergy status.

The only other option is discord between God's people, which doesn't benefit anyone, especially those "unchurched" people out there who are looking for a place to learn about and experience God in their lives.

Change isn't a bad thing sometimes and, as history has shown, without change in the past the Episcopal Church as we know it wouldn't even exist today. However, the change doesn't have to be damaging if those involved remember that Jesus died for ALL, not just the traditional and not just the contemporary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
DisneyDirect.com