My Photo
Name:
Location: Jacksonville, Florida

I'm on a journey. I know where I'm going but not how I'll get there. Its a mystery only God knows...and isn't telling.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A True Winner

Kyle Maynard was born March 24, 1986 with a rare disorder called, “Congenital Amputation,” leaving him with three joints; a neck and two shoulders. He has no elbows or knees. He measures just over 3 feet tall and weighs approximately 120 pounds. Despite his physical differences, Kyle was one of the top high school wrestlers in Georgia during his senior season. He qualified for and competed in the 2004 Georgia High School Wrestling Championships. Also, he narrowly missed All-American status at the NHSCA Senior National Wrestling Championships.

However, as impressive as his academic and sport accomplishments are, it is Kyle’s attitude towards life that makes Kyle a truly unique person. Kyle does not think in terms of limitations, but only in accomplishments. One of Kyle’s favorite sayings is, “It's not what I can do; it's what I WILL do.”


I saw a story on TV recently (I think it was on Oprah) about this young man. When I think I've done something special by fencing when I'm tired, or my back and leg hurts, or even changing hands to fence left-handed while recovering from surgery on my right shoulder, I know it is nothing compared to what this man has done.

What impresses me the most about him isn't what he's done despite his physical limitations (if they even are limitations to him). When he decided to take up wrestling, he apparently lost one match after another. But instead of giving up, he persisted and eventually became a consistent winner. I understand what it's like to lose more than win at competitions. I hope I have the perserverence he had.

In the game of life, what makes a winner? Is it the medals won or the character developed by not giving up?

www.kmaynard.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
DisneyDirect.com