My Photo
Name:
Location: Jacksonville, Florida

I'm on a journey. I know where I'm going but not how I'll get there. Its a mystery only God knows...and isn't telling.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Love of Country

Finlandia (The Finnish National Anthem)
(Lloyd Stone wrote this international version of the lyrics in 1934)

This is my song, Oh God of all the nations,
A song of peace for lands afar and mine.
This is my home, the country where my heart is;
Here are my hopes, my dreams, my sacred shrine.
But other hearts in other lands are beating,
With hopes and dreams as true and high as mine.

My country's skies are bluer than the ocean,
And sunlight beams on cloverleaf and pine.
But other lands have sunlight too and clover,
And skies are everywhere as blue as mine.
Oh hear my song, oh God of all the nations,
A song of peace for their land and for mine.


I've always liked this song. We used to sing it in church for the 4th of July worship service. We sang the other usual patriotic hymns and songs but in some ways I've always liked this one best. I suppose it's because it doesn't take anything away from my country, or anyone else's. It speaks of the wonderful land we have here and our pride in it, but it also reminds us that we aren't the only country who feels this way. But other hearts in other lands are beating,with hopes and dreams as true and high as mine.

I believe God created the world and all that is in it. I have to remember that God is the God of all nations, no matter how they choose to worship. When I sing for peace in my country, I must do so for others as well. Oh hear my song, oh God of all the nations,a song of peace for their land and for mine.

When I pray for my country on the 4th of July, I'll remember to pray for God's guidance and blessing on other countries as well. And especially, I'll pray for peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
DisneyDirect.com