My Photo
Name:
Location: Jacksonville, Florida

I'm on a journey. I know where I'm going but not how I'll get there. Its a mystery only God knows...and isn't telling.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Jesus is my Lord

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. ~Mahatma Gandhi

I've always known God was in my life, even as a child. I have never believed otherwise, even when I tried to act like I did. I have, however, had a problem with what I always called the "Jesus thing". I've always avoided talking about Jesus by just referring to God. That's good enough, right?

Wrong!

I went to see a movie Friday night called "Facing the Giants". It was another high school football movie much like others except for one major thing...Jesus. The movie was very good and it showed a "down to earth" way of honoring Jesus in one's daily life. It was excellent and I recommend it. It made me wonder why I have been so hesitant to admit my belief in Jesus like I do my belief in God.

I think the above quote by Ghandi says it all. I have sometimes been embarrassed to be called a Christian. I've always felt that by admitting to being a Christian, people would lump me in with those who were pushy and believed that their scriptural interpretations were completely accurate. All black and white...no gray...drawing a circle of inclusion that only allowed people who believed by their rules.

The past four years have changed many things for me and the movie left me with the realization that it's time I made Jesus number one in my life. I want to be proud to be a Christian, with apologies to no one. I want to be the kind of Christian that believes Jesus is able to work even in the gray areas, and that God-inspired writings might possibly be beyond even our best human ability to fully interpret and understand. I want to be a Christian who will stand strongly for my belief in Jesus but not become so arrogant that I believe my interpretation is the only correct interpretation. I don't want to draw a circle that excludes others who are honestly trying to follow Jesus. My experience with Jesus is that he doesn't need my help- except when it comes to showing love to all of God's creation. I want to be the kind of person that would cause others to say, "I like your Christ because of what I see in you."

With Jesus' help and the prayers of others, perhaps I can make progress toward that goal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
DisneyDirect.com